6 Fun Facts about the AFF Suzuki Cup
By Neil McCormack
With the AFF Suzuki Cup running from 8 November to 15 December, here are some facts ahead of the twelve edition of this tournament:
1. No country has won 3 titles in a row. Only Singapore (in 2004 and 2007) and Thailand (in 2000 and 2002 and again in 2014 and 2016) have won 2 in a row.
2. Indonesia have been to 5 finals (2000, 2002, 2004, 2010 and 2016) and lost them all.
3. They are also the only team to have won the first leg of a final (in 2016) and not go on to win the title.
4. Malaysia (in 2010), Singapore (in 2012) and Thailand (in 2014) are the the only countries to have lost the second leg of the final after winning the first leg and still gone on to win the final.
5. The 2002 final is still the only final to have been settled on penalties.
6. Kiatisuk Senamuang is the only man to have won the AFF Suzuki Cup as a player (in 1996, 2000 and 2002) and as a manager (in 2014 and 2016)
First published at: https://redliga.wordpress.com/
Photos: AFF Suzuki Cup Facebook