• Thu. Oct 5th, 2023

Referee alleged to have used vulgarity in red card incident at Singapore Football League match. Match is called off, police called in.

Jul 31, 2023

A Singapore Football League (SFL) 1 match on 29 July was called off just slightly after midpoint in the first half after an exchange between a player from one of the teams and the referee.

The exchange allegedly resulted in the referee getting his uniform torn.

The incident happened at the Yishun Stadium during the match between Yishun Sentek Mariners and Warwick Knights. 

Photos sent to TMSG only show officials and a few players from both teams locked in a discussion post-incident.

One of the photos also had the referee in the centre of conversations.

TMSG also understands that there is a video of the incident.

An official who spoke to TMSG on condition of anonymity said that the incident was sparked after the referee awarded a penalty to Yishun Sentek, after a Warwick player was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box.

At the point, Yishun were already up 1-0 against Warwick.

As a result of the penalty, one of the Warwick players was then accused of using vulgarity to query the referee’s decision. 

He was subsequently red carded, but it was then also alleged that the referee himself had used a vulgar word during the exchange. 

The Warwick player was then alleged to have tugged at the referee’s uniform, which then led to it being torn. 

The match was subsequently called off, even though the referee had changed to a new kit, and with both teams wanting to continue with the match. 

Former S-League players Jufri Taha, ismadi Mukhtar and Goh Swee Swee are among the recognisable names in Warwick’s line-up.

In a statement posted on its website following the match, the Football Association of Singapore said that the match “was abandoned prematurely at the 27th minute due to an incident that was deemed to compromise the safety and security of the match officials.

“The FAS adopts a zero tolerance policy regarding violence of any form, and any such alleged behaviour has no place in football.

“The police were alerted to this incident and the FAS and its officials will provide the authorities with all cooperation and assistance where necessary. 

“In addition, this incident will also be brought before the FAS Disciplinary Committee for its own investigation.”

In a statement, Warwick chairman Andrew Lioe said the club “sincerely apologise to the fans and our opponents who came prepared for the game” in a social media post. 

Yishun Sentek also put up a social media post following the incident, which is self-explanatory.

A check on the FAAS website shows that the last three disciplinary cases from 2022 also involved Warwick Knights, and involved violent behaviour, in which three players received bans for a year until the end of the 2023 season.



Related Post

%d bloggers like this: